Sunday, March 11, 2007

Monotypes and Monoprints


During my printmaking days I loved making monotypes and monoprints. Next Monday I will be doing a demonstration of monotypes that require no press for the DuPage Art League. I will begin my presentation by giving a little background of montypes and monoprints. It turns out that many artists made monotypes and contemporary artists continue to use this medium. It is fun, freeing and often surprising. I usually don't go in with a preconceived idea of what will come out. I like the surprise element. Most often the result is merely a starting piece which requires enhancing in some way. Sometimes I use watersoluble crayons to add line work as in this piece. Other times it becomes my background for a collage. Monoprints have also been a source of several of my artworks. In this case you already have an image but in the inking it becomes one of a kind rather than a limited edition of a few inked and printed in the same way.

No comments: