Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Why Did I Become An Artist?

As an elementary school child I was led to believe that my art was not very good. I could not copy or draw as the more proficient children could and so I felt dismissed as an artist. I loved doing crafts which I learned through girl scouts or from my father. I liked working with my hands. The belief that I was not a good artist stayed with me for over thirty years. In the meantime my passion was learning about the great artists through art history and visiting art museums around the world. The passion never went away. As a substitute for painting or drawing I took up photography and competed in camera clubs and learned as much as I could about lighting and composition. And then, I reached a certain age in life when I could confidently say "I don't care what others think, I want to express myself through art." My soul-mate and girlfriend, Dena, and I decided one day over coffee that we would enroll in a watercolor class. We had an understanding, and supportive teacher, Angelique. We thrived and we became artists. There was no looking back. I would never be just an observer. Whenever life gets in the way and I cannot create art in some fashion, I become an unbearable person to be with. ART IS MY OXYGEN.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Tania,
Thanks for sharing that it good to understand by reading what other have gone through.

~v~

Anonymous said...

Senora Tania,
I know the feeling of thinking that one is not good for something. When I was learning English a teacher I had reduced my grade because she believed that I was not going to pass the finals. I got the highest grade in her class, and I learnt to never give up. I am so glad the artist within you never gave up, because I believe art is, for some of us, the best way to express ourselves. I like the motives behind your works and I'm looking forward to see more of your art (by the way I like the piece of the antiquities).
Thank you, por compartir sus experiencias.

Andres