Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Studio is an exploratorium

I rose early in order to be able to drop into my studio again this morning. There have papers drying from coatings of acrylic medium. Once dry these little gems are ready to mount onto a card. So far I am keeping my daily visits to the studio that I committed to for the next month as I work on material for the upcoming shows.

My studio is really an exploratorium. I am borrowing this word from a recent blog written by a terrific artist in Vancouver Canada, Robert Genn. You can see his website for lots of interesting things about art, including an extensive list of quotations. This is the link: http://www.painterskeys.com/

I love the sound of the word and it describes by studio to the T. I have such a collection (not terribly well organized but I am working on it) of materials, supplies, paints, etc. On any day I might want to work with found papers, make surface design on existing bad art, or just read my collection of art magazines or art history books. I never know when an idea will strike me to catapult me into a new direction or an old one I have nearly forgotten.

A co-worker and new patron of mine commissioned me to make some cards for her nieces (4 and 5 years old) with butterflies. I don't always enjoy working on commissions but this one is so sweet I feel I can make a whole series and then there will be leftovers for those other cards.