Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Making Paper


Last Sunday, my friend and collage artist Laura invited me and Anne to make paper in her back yard under a tent. The three of us chatted and made paper almost all day long. The act of making paper is so meditative as you stir the slurry and then dip your mold into the vat. The result is a sheet of paper in pulp form which is then hung up to dry on a line. I made a stack of off white and red sheets. The time just flew. Laura prepared a delightful lunch for us and then we were at it again. We had a great time making paper which will be turned into collage works in the near future. Today I looked at my stash of paper and was inspired by the stack's various colors and textures. I guess I have always loved paper for its own sake. And the proof is that I have tons of paper in my studio just waiting to be cut, torn, glued and combined for a work of art whether small or large. And yet the handmade paper feels more precious, like bread baked from scratch.... such satisfaction.

No comments: