Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Process of Artmaking


When life takes a detour and creating art takes a back seat , the creative momentum can be lost. How do I get it back again? I force myself to work on a miniature piece. A 4 X 6 size is ideal for playing, risk-taking or just spontaneously putting it together. And so this winter life took me on a detour of my regular creating time. The longing to get the hands dirty and composing a little piece was there but the opportunity did not present itself readily. Then last week I received a call from someone who had purchased my original notecards last year and was looking to purchase some more to give as gifts to her children's teachers and to some colleagues. Suddenly the need to have inventory motivated the artist in me to go ahead and paint. There is always a need for simple watercolor florals. Those are fun because of the sponteneity, the ease, the simplicity. I was able to sit down and produce a number of these gems. Then there were a few tinted papers, some sheet music and other miscellaneous papers littering my art table. Within minutes I was gluing these miscellaneous fragments together and making simple compositions. The fire of creativity is burning within me again. I will tackle some challenges that have come across my desk. White on White. Holiday themes. I can feel the oxygen circulating around me.

No comments: