Thursday, June 21, 2007

A week of almost no artmaking

It has been a week of almost no artmaking. Family duties, a personal committment to exercise more and summer chores in the garden have taken more time away from the act of making art. Looking at old art that seems stale and uninteresting is bringing out the judge who says: "maybe you're not good enough". Instead I am reading a book by Micheal Kimmelman: The Accidental Masterpiece. On the Art of Life and Vice Versa. I must be searching for meaning in my art or who knows what. Maybe I concerned that it is all so trivial. Whenever my husband hears that I have sold a work of art he immediately approaches with the business side: How many of those can you make? He means well but it trivializes the original work of art. I know that my art is not about trivial things. It is built on many layers.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Tania,
Question?

How do you feel when your not making art?

How do you feel after you have given yourself time to make some art?

Now do what feels best!
I believe I've heard this many times but need to screen out the ones that seem to hurt the process.

~v~