Thursday, August 30, 2007

A field trip to Chicago

I have been promising myself an artist date (a la Julia Cameron) to Chicago. Well today I got to do just that and the weather could not have been better. I took the train in the morning and walked to the Chicago Cultural center. The air was clean and there was a delightful breeze. I walked past the famous sculptures and discovered a farmers market right in front of the Picasso. Oh the senses were delighted. The Chicago Cultural Center has several art exhibits which were interesting. The best one was of contemporary art from India. The pieces that really spoke to me were 1. a huge paper sculpture called Personal Space (it was huge and full of interesting words, textures, symbols, etc. It was large enough to stand it. Actually several people could stand in the personal space. 2. The other was work done by an artist that paints onto mattresses. It is always difficult to describe art. Unfortunately the exhibit did not allow photographs to be taken.

No comments: